Membership is broken into categories with full membership able to be conferred on officers with line management responsibility. Alternatively, we have the Affiliate category for other officers wishing to engage with the LGMA network.
Once you have left employment, you do not need to surrender your membership, with many members opting to remain a part of the organisation that has supported them. Retired membership is available to those no longer working.
Membership is subject to an annual fee which is amended from time to time (see Annual Subscription Levies).
Click here: All the information you need on becoming a member
Criteria for Membership
To be admitted as an Ordinary Member, an applicant must:
1. Be employed in local government at the time of application
2. Hold a management appointment
3. Hold a degree, diploma or relevant qualification or have demonstrated experience or prior learning to the satisfaction of the Board.
To be admitted as a Fellow, an applicant must:
1. Make a significant an active contribution to LGMA or the sector
2. Have been admitted as a Member for a minimum period of 10 years or such lesser period as determined by the board.
To be admitted as a Life Member, an applicant must:
1. Have been admitted as a Member and served the sector for a minimum period of 20 years
2. In the Board’s opinion, have given active service to LGMA Queensland.
To be admitted as a Retired Member, an applicant must:
1. Prior to receipt of the application, have been admitted as a Member
2. Have retired from employment
3. Wish to retain an interest in LGMA Queensland.
To be admitted as an Affiliate, an applicant must:
1. Have attained the age of 18 years
2. Be employed in local government at the time of application
3. Not qualify for membership as an Ordinary Member or a Fellow.
Benefits of Membership
The benefits of LGMA Queensland include access to our network of leaders from the sector from around the State, discounts of event attendance, continuous support throughout your LG career and more. We also offer a number of individual-level benefits - click here to read more.
Meet Liza Perrett, Governance & Corporate Services Manager from Isaac Regional Council
Introducing Liza Perrett, Governance & Corporate Services Manager from Isaac Regional Council. Throughout her local government career, Liza has learnt that all councils experience many of the same issues and appreciates the importance of, and benefits that can be achieved from, working collaboratively together and sharing information/experiences/etc - She believes that LG does this extremely well. She has also learnt to not get caught up in the small stuff. When asked what the most influential factor of her team’s 2011 win of the LGMA Queensland State Management Challenge, Liza said that team work, strong friendships and high levels of trust and honesty among the team were of upmost importance. Their preparation also included doing weekly boot camp sessions together! Some achievements in her role that Liza has been particularly proud of include; improving the governance focus within the organisation through key messaging, leading by example and bringing everyone on the journey; actively encouraging working collaboratively across the Departments. Outside of work; Liza plays touch football and indoor volleyball. When she gets the chance she takes every opportunity to catch up with friends and family. Since moving to Central Queensland last October, she has enjoyed exploring the region and getting to know her new digs.
Annual Membership Fees & Categories
Click here for Membership Application Form